New lockdown: Manchester University fencing costing £11k removed

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/800/cpsprodpb/577A/production/_115249322_fence2.jpg

A university that spent £11,000 on fencing has been forced to remove the barriers hours later amid protests.

Students living at the University of Manchester's Fallowfield halls of residence awoke to find workers putting up "huge metal barriers" on Thursday.

It sparked a protest among hundreds of students over the "prison-like" campus fencing, which was later torn down.

The university has announced it will hold an inquiry into the decision to erect the fencing.

Work to remove the fencing began last night and will be completed later.

The university confirmed it had spent £11,000 net to install, inspect and remove the fencing, which had been hired for four weeks in response
to security concerns about non-residents accessing the Owens Park site.

Prof Dame Nancy Rothwell, the university's president and vice-chancellor, said: "Firstly, I want to apologise again for the distress caused by
putting up the fence yesterday and the very poor communication surrounding this.

"I am determined to find out what went wrong and to learn from it."

The inquiry will be conducted by a former vice-president for teaching, learning and students with the report submitted by the end of the month.

Prof Rothwell said she would meet with student representatives from the halls "as soon as possible".

Prof Rothwell added: "I know the events of yesterday were distressing for many students on a personal level at what is already a very difficult
time. I'm sorry for that.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/800/cpsprodpb/12510/production/_115242057_photo-2020-11-05-20-56-10.jpg

"I also regret that our actions led to protests and unrest at the residences last night.

"The fence has been removed today and, in consultation with students, additional security measures will be put in place to help to keep all of
our residents safe."

Students said the fences, placed between buildings, blocked off some entry and exit points and left them feeling trapped.

Third-year drama student Billie Harvey-Munro has criticised the lack of communication over the fencing.

"There's been no transparency whatsoever. Students weren't warned," said Ms Harvey-Munro, who is part of a campaign group Student Action
for a Fair and Educated Response.

"You have a bunch of first-year students who are scared about the current crisis anyway.

"I think it really demonstrates to us how little the university had prioritised students at this time."

Do not want to miss the details of this story can be followed here. : slotxo